Death of the Spider Woman



Last week, I heard that sculptor Louise Bourgeois passed away at the age of 98. While I am not familiar with the full range of her work, I do know that she did something that even Bert I. Gordon, "Mr. B.I.G." himself, could never accomplish: she sent giant spiders to cities all over the world. While her bronze spider sculptures were various depictions of the abstract concept of spider-ness (instead of being anatomically accurate re-creations of actual spiders), they neverthess captured the spindly, nimble, multi-limbed spirit of spiders, scorpions, and all other things of the creepy-crawly variety.

Click the link below for a picture gallery of Bourgeois' spiders at their various locations. Earth versus the spiders, indeed.











 

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Art of Tron: Uprising (Part 1 of 4): Characters

The Thing 2: A Sequel Frozen in the Lost Video Game Wasteland

The Art of Tron: Uprising (Part 2 of 4): Vehicles and Equipment