Justice League: The (Almost) Lost Story



Among other things, Memorial Day weekend allowed me to catch up on a few videos that have been lingering on my must-see list. Among the titles I could scratch off my list was Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths, one of DC's straight-to-DVD titles that was released earlier this year. It's a great superhero romp, with a compelling script, above-average animation, DC universe cameos galore, and a top-notch voice cast which includes Mark Harmon (NCIS) and the always awesome Firefly vet Gina Torres.

However, what I didn't know before I watched this movie was that it was originally written in 2004 as a narrative bridge for the Justice League and Justice League Unlimited animated series, which aired a few years ago on Cartoon Network. You can read more about it on this IMDB page. While the script was revamped to be more of a stand-alone story and the character designs and voice talent are different, it still features so many references to the two Justice League TV series that I know I wouldn't have enjoyed this movie nearly as much if I didn't understand what the references meant.

So, if you're a completist for Bruce Timm and Paul Dini's multi-series love letter to the DC universe (which also includes Batman: The Animated Series, Superman: The Animated Series, and Batman Beyond), be sure to pick up this one up for your own DVD collection.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ten Recommended NECA Predator Action Figures

Zoids, Robo Strux and Starriors--Oh My!

The Art of Tron: Uprising (Part 1 of 4): Characters