The Art of Tron: Uprising (Part 1 of 4): Characters




This month marks the one year anniversary of the cancellation of Tron: Uprising, which aired on Disney XD for 19 episodes. Set between the events of Tron and Tron: Legacy, Uprising chronicled the events shortly after Clu’s rise to power within the stand-alone Grid created by Kevin Flynn.

Personally, I think that Tron: Uprising got a raw deal from Disney. It’s a fantastic addition to the Tron saga that went on to win both Emmy and Annie Awards, yet Disney clearly had other priorities and was willing to toss Uprising aside without so much as an official cancellation notice. Even to this day, Uprising has yet to be released on DVD or Blu-ray and I’m wondering if it ever will.

In honor of this amazing animated series that was cut down in its prime, I have decided to do something that Disney won’t. Since there will never be an official Tron: Uprising art book, I have searched across the Internet to find a selection of art from Uprising that I can share here on my blog with fellow fans. Today’s selection of artwork will focus on the characters of Uprising, while the next three posts will cover vehicles and equipment, buildings and interiors, and landscapes. Click below to see the Tron: Uprising character art portfolio.


























I pulled the above pictures from the sites of Jojo Aguilar, Alan Kerswell and Mark McDonnell, artists who contributed their talents to the production of Tron: Uprising, as well as from other sources. Additional art can be found on the Tron Lives: Uprising Art site.





Comments

  1. Thank you for doing this. I'm so frustrated that something so special and done with exceptional professionalism and heart got cut. It was far more superior than Legacy and had so much more to offer. A Damn shame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree with you. I enjoyed Tron, Tron 2.0 and Tron: Legacy, but Uprising really is the crown jewel of this franchise IMHO.

      Delete
  2. This is amazing!!! Thank you so much for doing this and I just hope, like Tron Legacy, then they'll come around again in a few years... I just hope it doesn't take as long. >> This is series was stupendous and it's sad that Disney drowned it by giving it impromptu air times and 0 marketing. I was actively watch each episode a week and got thrown off when I couldn't find the series' time slot anymore.

    You'd think, they'd at least give us a comic book conclusion to tie up this series... it sort of makes me want to do one myself, I just wish I knew what their overall plans were to make it as canon as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for commenting! Yeah, Tron: Uprising deserved much more than what Disney did with it. A comic book conclusion to Uprising would have been nice, although I was also hoping for a Blu-ray box set of the series by now and that hasn't happened either. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just finished watching this series last week and I’m completely obsessed! It is such an amazing show and deserved better than Disney could provide for sure! The entire franchise at this point! And thanks for making this portfolio! It’s really helpful to have these all in one place as I try and illustrate my own characters! The art style and color palette of this show is to die for!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? I still can't believe how poorly Disney has treated this franchise. It has so much potential.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Art of Tron: Uprising (Part 2 of 4): Vehicles and Equipment

The Thing 2: A Sequel Frozen in the Lost Video Game Wasteland