The Day I Met Spider-Man (Sort Of)



While it's not a written rule (at least anywhere that I know of), it's a rite of passage of sorts for an up-and-coming horror/fantasy/sci-fi nerd to don a costume of his/her favorite character, particularly when going to a horror/fantasy/sci-fi-themed event. In my case, I got to see Spider-Man, live and in person, doing some kind promotional appearance at a local Boscov's in the spring of 1977. Sure, it was actually just a guy wearing a spandex suit to entertain the kiddies, but for me at the time it was the most awesome thing I had ever seen in my young, impressionable life (at least until Star Wars showed up at the box office later that year).

Of course, when I went to go see my friendly neighborhood Spider-Man in person, I had to go in style. I dressed up in my Spider-Man costume that my mom made from the previous Halloween just for this occasion (complete with the official Marvel Comics licensed Spider-Man utility belt) and, as you can see from the picture above, I even got Spidey's autograph as a reward for my geeky devotion!

Click the link below to see pictures of this cherished event, from me striking a partially-decapitated action pose in my Spider-Man suit (yes, that is a plush stuffed spider toy I'm holding in my left hand which was also made by my mom) to me almost gouging out Spider-Man's left spider-eye. Good times!







For more details about live appearances by Spider-Man and other Marvel Comics characters during the late 70s and early 80s, go to the Plaid Stallions site. It features a rare brochure which describes the "live services" division of Marvel Comics, as well as pictures taken by fans from across the country during these events.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Art of Tron: Uprising (Part 1 of 4): Characters

The Thing 2: A Sequel Frozen in the Lost Video Game Wasteland

The Art of Tron: Uprising (Part 2 of 4): Vehicles and Equipment