Justice League: The (Almost) Lost Story



Among other things, Memorial Day weekend allowed me to catch up on a few videos that have been lingering on my must-see list. Among the titles I could scratch off my list was Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths, one of DC's straight-to-DVD titles that was released earlier this year. It's a great superhero romp, with a compelling script, above-average animation, DC universe cameos galore, and a top-notch voice cast which includes Mark Harmon (NCIS) and the always awesome Firefly vet Gina Torres.

However, what I didn't know before I watched this movie was that it was originally written in 2004 as a narrative bridge for the Justice League and Justice League Unlimited animated series, which aired a few years ago on Cartoon Network. You can read more about it on this IMDB page. While the script was revamped to be more of a stand-alone story and the character designs and voice talent are different, it still features so many references to the two Justice League TV series that I know I wouldn't have enjoyed this movie nearly as much if I didn't understand what the references meant.

So, if you're a completist for Bruce Timm and Paul Dini's multi-series love letter to the DC universe (which also includes Batman: The Animated Series, Superman: The Animated Series, and Batman Beyond), be sure to pick up this one up for your own DVD collection.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Art of Tron: Uprising (Part 1 of 4): Characters

The Thing 2: A Sequel Frozen in the Lost Video Game Wasteland

The Art of Tron: Uprising (Part 2 of 4): Vehicles and Equipment